Mason Sand is a fine-grit construction quality sand which is easy to move and level. This makes Mason Sand great for:
- Using as a leveling agent to level the base of a driveway, patio, or walkway before placing the pavers
- Using between the cracks of a paver driveway, patio, or walkway
- Using as an amendment to soil to help keep it from clumping up
- Using under above ground pools
- Using as bulk play sand or volleyball sand. While the grain size is larger than volleyball and play sand, this can be a cost effective alternative.
Mason Sand is generally used for leveling. While it has been used for many years as a leveling agent for driveways, patios, and walkways, we recommend using #9 Gravel as it allows more water to drain through it, it does not flow with water, and it can be walked on after leveling. Mason Sand is still used for the same projects but does not share these features. However, it can be spread thinner than #9 Gravel.
If you need to level an area, amend soil to keep it from clumping up, or just some fine sand to sink your feet into, Mason Sand may be the best option.
How do I get my gravel?
- Load the product directly into your truck or trailer using a "skid-steerer" (or Bobcat front loader). Keep in mind the truck bed needs to have an open top to use the loader. You are more than welcome to shovel it in a vehicle that has a closed top.
-Deliver your product in a dump truck that can dump in almost any paved area. We have trucks of various sizes that can fit almost any need.
-Delivery your product in a SuperSack which is a 3'x3'x3' bag on a pallet. The SuperSack is brought to you and placed in a paved area using a forklift on the back of the truck.
- Fill any container you bring! It's much cheaper than buying prepackaged bags.
- - Install the product for you! Simply fill out this online form below (labeled "REQUEST A CONSULTATION"), we will call you to fill out a time to provide an immediate on-site estimate for the work you would like completed! Please keep in mind that the estimates are for installation projects, unfortunately, it is cost-prohibitive to offer home visits to help calculate how much stone you need if you are installing the stone yourself. Visit this page if you are interested in learning the approximate installation cost for Mason Sand.
How much do I need?
This is the most common question we have and it is easy to figure out with our gravel calculator! Bulk gravel is sold by ton which. If you provide input and a little information to our calculator, we will provide you with how much gravel you will need for your project. Simply get the width and length of the areas that you will be applying the gravel and input the information in our gravel project calculator, then select your desired depth of gravel. The calculator will figure out how many tons you will need! Make sure you consider the existing plants in the area, you will not be applying gravel on top of them so minus some of the area out for that!
Mason Sand Calculator
Mason Sand Coverage:
Each ton covers approximately 60 square feet at 4" deep, 80 square feet at 3" deep, 120 square feet at 2" deep, or 240 square feet at 1" deep.
Mason Sand does not compact and should not be used in between the cracks of paver or natural stone. Its relatively large grain size will usually be too large for paver seems and it flows with water meaning that it will eventually flow out of the large cracks in a natural stone patio or walkway.
Mason Sand Color:
In central Ohio, this stone is generally a grey to tan color. There is a variation in color depending on the location and depth in quarry.
Mason Sand Shape/Size:
This sand has a maximum particle size of 1/8" and is larger than a play sand.
Mason Sand Material:
Limestone and/or granite
Weight of Mason Sand:
Volume of ton of Mason Sand:
16 Cubic Feet
Gravel Installation Instructions:
- Mason Sand is often used as a leveling agent for patios. When used above compacted #411, approximately 1"-2" is recommended. When using above #57, 2"-3" is recommended. This allows some of the Mason Sand to fill the gaps in the #57s while #411 will not have such gaps to fill.
- The use of Mason Sand for driveway, patio, or walkway leveling is being largely replaced by #9 Gravel. #9 Gravel can drain more water and be walked on after leveling.
- Mason Sand can be a great amendment to soil that is high in clay content. Adding approximately 10% sand to the volume of soil you wish to amend will help to keep the soil from clumping up and allow more water to flow through the soil.
If you have any questions, please feel free to call our experts at 614-792-8686 or use the chat window at the bottom right of your screen.
Other Packaging Options:
This product is also available in 50 pound bags!
Bulk products in loose form will be dumped from our trucks or loaded by machine in your open truck. Unfortunately, we cannot mix bulk products on the same truck nor can we dump your product in more than one spot. If you are interested in multiple bulk products, you may want to consider selecting the Supersack packaging option, then you can mix the bulk products on the same truck if they are all packaged in Supersacks. We can bring up to 15 cubic yards or tons of bulk or packaged material to you per delivery. Please keep in mind that our drivers ability to place the product in the exact location you want it may be limited due to access and overhead obstructions. We ship product 7 days a week, but please provide a two day notice when orders are placed online. Please contact us with any other questions!
Due to the nature of bulk products, it cannot be returned for credit.