#9 Gravel is a size of crushed stone. Each grain is approximately 3/8" and angular in shape.
#9 Gravel is a size of crushed stone. Each grain is approximately 3/8" and angular in shape. This makes #9 Gravel great for:
- Using as a leveling agent to level the base of a driveway, patio, wall, or walkway before placing the pavers
- Using for drainage in a thin area when not much water will be flowing
- Creatinga level surface on the top of a walkway
#9s are generally generally used for leveling. Their relatively small size make them easy to move and level while their angular shape keeps them in place. They're often used as a top layer on walkways in parks and have become the most commonly used leveling agent for patios, walkways, walls, and driveways. This is due to the fact that they drain water, don't flow like sand will, and can be walked on after leveling.
If you need to level an area with something that will drain water and won't move, #9 Gravel is most likely the best option.
How do I get my gravel?
- Load the product directly into your truck or trailer using a "skid-steerer" (or Bobcat front loader). Keep in mind the truck bed needs to have an open top to use the loader. You are more than welcome to shovel it in a vechicle that has a closed top.
-Deliver your product in a dump truck that can dump in almost any paved area. We have trucks of various sizes that can fit almost any need.
-Delivery your product in a SuperSack which is a 3'x3'x3' bag on a pallet. The SuperSack is brought to you and placed in a paved area using a forklift on the back of the truck.
- Fill any container you bring! It's much cheaper than buying prepackaged bags.
- Install the product for you! Simply fill out this on-line form below (labeled "FREE ESTIMATES"), select an appointment time, and we will be out there to provide an immediate on-site estimate for the work you would like completed! As a general rule, installation labor is approximately $75.00 per ton plus the cost of the material...again just a ballpark so you know what to expect.
Please see below for more detailed information about delivery.
How much do I need?
This is the most common question we have and it is easy to figure out with our gravel calculator! Bulk gravel is sold by ton which. If you provide input a little information to our calculator, we will provide you with how much gravel you will need for your project. Simply get the width and length of the areas that you will be applying the gravel and input the information in our gravel project calculator, then select your desired depth of gravel. The calculator will figure out how many tons you will need! Make sure you consider the existing plants in the area, you will not be applying gravel on top of them so minus some of the area out for that!
#9 Gravel Calculator
#9 Gravel Coverage:
Each ton covers approximately 60 square feet at 4" deep, 80 square feet at 3" deep, or 120 square feet at 2" deep.
#9 Gravel has approximately a 10% compaction ratio. For most cases, this is not an issue unless you're using #9 for a deep area (4" or more). It is not recommended that you use #9 Gravel deeper than 2"-3" with out some sort of fabric in between the layers. It cannot typically be spread thinner than 3/4".
#9 Gravel Color:
In central Ohio, this stone is generally a grey to tan color. There is a variation in color depending on the location and depth in quarry.
#9 Gravel Shape/Size:
This stone is angular in shape since it is crushed. The size of each grain is approximately 3/8" which makes it learger than a sand but one of the smallest grains of gravel available.
#9 Gravel Material:
Limestone and/or granite
Weight of #9 Gravel :
Volume of ton of #9 Gravel:
17 Cubic Feet
Gravel Installation Instructions:
- #9 Gravel is often used as a leveling agent for patios. When used above compacted #411, approximately 1.5"-2" is recommended. When using above #57, 2"-3" is recommended. This allows some of the #9 to fill the gaps in the #57s while #411 will not have such gaps to fill.
- #9 Gravel is recommended as a leveling agent as opposed to Concrete Sand. Concrete Sand has been the go-to for many years and you will still find many sources that suggest using Concrete Sand. While Concrete Sand can work, #9s allow more water to drain and they don't flow over time as Concrete Sand is know to do. This helps prevent sink spots where the pavers become slightly unlevel, allowing water to pool. As opposed to Concrete Sand, #9 allow the water to flow out and away from your patio instead. Also, as opposed to Concrete Sand, #9 Gravel can also be walked on after leveling. This can make laying pavers much easier as you don't have to worry about avoiding an area while the pavers are being layed. These features make #9 Gravel to the go-to for nearly all high-end hardscape installers.
- #9 Gravel is often used as a leveling agent and for in between the cracks of natrual stone walkways and patios. While sand will flow away with water, #9 stay in place. This means that you can put down 2"-3" of #9 as a leveling agent then push your steppers or flaggers into place while the #9 Gravel fills the gaps. If more is needed, you can easily spread more #9 Gravel into the cracks and push them down with your shoe to fill the gaps.
- Due to its small size and angular shape, #9 can be spread to lay very flat and not move while also allowing water to drain. With almost no movement under your feet, this also makes them very easy to walk on, easy to drive on, and easy to pull any type of small wheeled vehicle over. These features makes them ideal for a wide variety of uses.
If you have any questions, please feel free to call our experts at 614-792-8686 or use the chat window at the bottom right of your screen.
Other Packaging Options:
This product is only available in bulk but we can fill any container you bring in. Just make sure it's not too heavy to move when filled!
Bulk products in loose form will be dumped from our trucks or loaded by machine in your open truck. Unfortunately, we cannot mix bulk products on the same truck nor can we dump your product in more than one spot. If you are interested in multiple bulk products, you may want to consider selecting the Supersack packaging option, then you can mix the bulk products on the same truck if they are all packaged in Supersacks. We can bring up to 15 cubic yards or tons of bulk or packaged material to you per delivery. Please keep in mind that our drivers ability to place the product in the exact location you want it may be limited due to access and overhead obstructions. We ship product 7 days a week, but please provide a two day notice when orders are placed on-line. Please contact us with any other questions!
Due to the nature of bulk products, it cannot be returned for credit.